IPERS MEMBER PRIVACY STATEMENT
Your personal and financial information is private.
- To manage your benefits, IPERS must collect and keep private information about you.
- Your private information includes your name, address, social security number, member identification number, beneficiary, account balance, and benefit payments.
IPERS cannot share your private information with anyone unless you approve it in writing or the law specifically allows it.
- IPERS may share certain information with others without asking you only if the information is necessary for them to perform their official governmental duties.
- Those who receive your private information must keep your information confidential.
IPERS keeps your private information in a secure record. You may:
- Obtain copies of information in your record at no charge.
- Ask IPERS to correct wrong information contained in your record.
- Access some of your information at a secure location on IPERS’ Web site.
IPERS protects your private information. We:
- Issue you a membership number to limit use of your social security number.
- Secure and control access to paper and electronic copies of your record. This includes confidential information from another source, such as tax or medical records.
- Maintain up-to-date security on computer networks and IPERS’ Web site.
- Discourage you from sending IPERS your private information by e-mail, which is not secure.
- Shred all discarded papers that include private information.
- Store an electronic backup copy of your record in a second location.
- Bond staff and perform background checks before hiring staff.
- Prohibit staff from working on their own financial records and those of friends and family.
- Require proof of identity for requests for private information and financial transactions, including withdrawing funds from IPERS.
- Will not sell or give membership or mailing lists to others.
- Will not forward others’ marketing materials to members or their beneficiaries.