You are here
Hello! I'm often asked to describe IPERS and explain how we make a difference to the citizens of Iowa.
IPERS was founded in 1953 by the Iowa Legislature, and today it does two very important things:
- IPERS is a core retirement plan that allows public employees to retire knowing that their benefits are secure.
- IPERS is also a benefit that helps employers recruit and keep quality employees in public service.
I’m proud to be a part of the IPERS community. We deliver services in an economical and efficient way, and we have grown the IPERS Trust Fund to $28 billion in assets. Here are some additional facts about IPERS:
- One in 10 Iowans is an IPERS member.
- The average annual pension amount is $16,000.
- On average, IPERS retirees begin taking pension payments at age 61 after 22 years of service.