You are here
IPERS Web Policies
IPERS Website Legal Disclaimer
The Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System (IPERS) provides this website as a service primarily to its members, their beneficiaries, and the public generally. IPERS makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, with respect to the content, any statements, and/or documents, or any part thereof, including any warranties of title, noninfringement of copyright or patent rights of others, merchantability, or fitness or suitability for any purpose regarding the content of this website.
IPERS cannot and does not warrant that the information on this server is absolutely current, although every effort is made to ensure that it is kept as current as possible. The user of this website is strongly encouraged to contact IPERS directly to make sure that the user has the latest available information, current law, rules, and regulations.
IPERS cannot and does not warrant the accuracy of documents contained in this website beyond the source documents, although every attempt is made to work from authoritative sources.
Please note that IPERS is governed by the Iowa Code chapter 97B and other Iowa statutes, as well as the Internal Revenue Code, and various rules and regulations, all of which are complex and subject to frequent changes. In the event of any conflict between those governing authorities and the information on this website, the governing authorities shall have precedence.
The information presented in this website should not be construed as legal advice or as a legal opinion on specific facts. For legal advice regarding specific facts and the law applicable to or associated with IPERS, consult an attorney knowledgeable in retirement law matters.
This is our notice to you about why we collect your personal information, how we use it, and with whom it is shared; what your choices are for how we use your information; how you may access your information; and how we protect the information we collect and maintain.
Why we collect your personal information
- We may collect personal data to administer any web-based IPERS applications. We do not use the information for any other internal secondary purpose(s).
- You may visit our website without giving personal information. IPERS does not collect information about website visitors without their knowledge and permission.
- If you give us your personal information, we treat it confidentially.
- We collect personal information about you (e.g., name, email address, Social Security number or other unique identifier) only if you give it to us personally or via your employer.
How we will use your personal information
- We do not sell the information we collect at this site, or any information we collect.
- The personal information you give us at this site will be used only in connection with the administration of the web-based IPERS applications.
- For statistical purposes, we also collect nonpersonal information about you. Sometimes we analyze this data to determine customer interest in different parts of our website. The information we share is in a format that does not personally identify anyone.
How your personal information will be shared
- If you give us permission we may disclose the information to an IPERS retirement benefits staff member who may provide additional assistance to you. Generally, this information will not be shared with anyone else without a written authorization from you or a court order which provides that we may share certain information with another party.
- Under limited circumstances, Iowa code section 97B.17 provides that personal information collected at this site may be released to certain state agencies or covered employers as necessary for the performance of their official duties. Such requestors are strictly charged with maintaining the confidentiality of the information provided to them.
Your access to the information we collect about you
- Information collected about you at this site may be obtained by filing a written request specifying the desired information. Information may also be disclosed to your representative if you have provided IPERS with a written authorization to do so, or pursuant to a court order. We will correct any errors reflected in our records if you contact IPERS with the specifics of the alleged errors and we determine that corrections should be made.
How we protect the security of the information we collect
- The Internet was originally designed as an open system with no built in security; however, IPERS is required to protect the information we collect and maintain about you. IPERS will not use the Internet to do business with you unless we can do so in a secure manner. We will take reasonable precautions to maintain the security, confidentiality, and integrity of the information we collect at this site.
- IPERS sometimes uses contractors to perform various website and database functions. When we do, we make sure that the agreement language with the contractor ensures the security, confidentiality, and integrity of any personal information the contractor may have access to in the course of contract performance.
Our concern about sending personal information via email
- Electronic mail is not secure. Therefore, we suggest that you do not send personal information to IPERS via email. We will only send you general information via email.
Our use of “cookies” and how it affects your visit to our website
- What is a “cookie”? A cookie is a small piece of text information that is sent to your computer--along with a webpage--when you access a website. Your computer will give the information on the cookie only to the computer that sent it and no other site can request it.
If you visit other websites
- Our website contains links to other outside websites. These websites are not within our control and may not follow the same privacy, security, or accessibility policies. Once you link to another site you are subject to the policies of that site and should read them carefully before you accept the policies of that site.